- Past-president of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (now Society of Health and Physical Educators)
- Past-president of Midwest District AAHPERD and West Virginia AAHPERD
- Fellow in the American Academy of Kinesiology and Physical Education
- Published and presented nationally and internationally in the area of sport sociology
- Dr. Brooks is the co-author of Racism in College Athletics: The African American Experience (3rd Edition) and Diversity and Social Justice in College Sports
- Past President of SHAPE America
- Ed.D., Physical Education/Sport Behavior, West Virginia University
- M.S., West Virginia University
- B.S., Towson State University
- A.A., Hagerstown Junior College
Committees and Memberships
Emeritus Dean, Brooks has served on the following committees:
- Chairperson of the following WVU committees/councils:
- Athletic Council, Black Community Concerns, Social Justice Council, and Affirmative Action
- Minority Recruitment Coordinator - Office of the Provost
- WVU’s NCAA Self-study Steering Committee
- Project Administrator for the WVU National Youth Sport Program.
- Member of the North American Society for Sport Sociology and Society of Health and Physical Educators
- The African American Sport Experience
A History of Sports Integration at WVU
- Dr. Dana D. Brooks retired as the Dean of the College of Physical Activities and Sport Sciences on June 30, 2019. He has made over 100 presentations at the state, national or international levels. He was co-editor and author of Racism and College Athletics (3rd edition), Diversity and Social Justice in College Sports, and seven book chapters. He has taught the following classes: African Americans in Sport and Individual Interactions in Sport (Sociology of Sport).
- Dean’s Recognition Award from the College of Health Professions, Towson University Alumni Association
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Achievement Award from the WVU Center for Black Culture and Research
- WVU Social Justice Award and the Martin Luther King “Living the Dream” Award from the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commission, State of West Virginia.