The advisors within the Office of Student Success at CPASS are excited to be working with you to develop your academic plan throughout your years at WVU. Check out tips for advising and other important information regarding the advising process below.
Scheduling an advising appointment
All students will receive a link to their MIX account from their assigned academic advisor connecting them to scheduling access through the SSC Campus service. This will be the only method of scheduling an appointment. All advisors can be reached via email or office phone to discuss appointments and answer any questions you might have.
Expectations of students during advising
- Schedule and attend at least one advising appointment prior to mid-semester.
- Come to appointments prepared with a tentative course schedule, questions and/or topics to discuss.
- Investigate and utilize the options within DegreeWorks.
- Check your MIX e-mail regularly as this will be a primary means of contact.
- Accept responsibility for your decisions and actions.
- Keep a record of your academic progress and goals.
- Research college programs, university policies, procedures and opportunities as appropriate.
Expectations of advisors during advising
- Maintain confidentiality according to established standards (FERPA)
- Be accessible for their assigned students
- Provide a respectful, supportive atmosphere
- Listen carefully and respect students’ questions, concerns and problems
- Refer students to appropriate resources as needed
- Assist students in clarifying their educational and career goals
- Guide students toward satisfactory academic progress
- Assist students in making academic decisions consistent with the students’ interests, abilities, and goals
You will use WVU Portal to access STAR, DegreeWorks and eCampus — all important online programs. Through the Portal, you can send and receive email, pay the academic deposit, pay tuition and fees and check your grades.
You can use STAR to grant a parent or guardian access to view your records and make payments.
Check your WVU email regularly.
How to register for classes
After you’ve met with your academic advisor and determined your courses for the upcoming semester, you can be ready to go to add them to your schedule during your designated registration period. Check out the Office of the University Registrar’s video below with step-by-step instructions to successfully register.