Two available tracks
Track 1 (Performance Coaching) is designed for individuals who will be coaching at the collegiate or elite levels. Courses emphasize applied coaching science for improving athletic performance.
Science of Coaching
Tracks 2 and 3 (Science of Coaching) are designed for the individual who are interested in coaching education and the preparation of coaches. The only difference between track 2 and 3 is the depth of research study.
NOTE: On campus ACE master’s students must take all courses on campus – they are not eligible to take the online ACE master’s level classes for their on-campus degree.
Field Experiences and Research
Students in the ACE on campus masters program will have many opportunities for field experience and research both in and out of the classroom. In class experiences will be gained through coursework such as:
- ACE 602 Action based research in coaching
- ACE 610 Training theories for coaches
- ACE 650 Sport movement analysis with Dartfish technology
- ACE 661 Strength and conditioning methods for coaches
- ACE 663 Strength and conditioning coaching techniques
- ACE 665 Strength and conditioning program design
- ACE 685 Coaching internship
- ACE 697 Research hours
- PET 698 Thesis
Students are encouraged to engage in opportunities outside the classroom through the Center for Applied Coaching and Sport Sciences. Interested students are encouraged to contact co-directed, Dr. Dieffenbach, Dr. King and head of technology Dr. Kuklick to find out more about the Center’s current projects.
In order to receive an ACE master’s degree, all students must have
- earned 39 advisor approved credits,
- satisfy all college and university requirements and
- have earned an overall GPA of a 3.0 in all course work leading towards the degree.
The department mailing address for written correspondence is:
WVU College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences
PO Box 6116,
Morgantown WV 26506-6116.
Please mark items “attention to” Dr. Valerie Wayda, Carol Straight,
or Theresa Scafella.
For further questions or information, please contact:
Program Assistant II
West Virginia University
College of Physical Activity
and Sport Sciences
375 Birch St., Morgantown WV 26505
P.O. Box 6116