Dr. Gonzalo Bravo, a native from Santiago, Chile, completed a master’s degree in Sport Administration from Penn State University and a PhD in Sport Management from The Ohio State University. In the fall of 2004, he joined the Sport Management program at WVU, where he currently teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in sport governance, sport in the global market, research methods, and history and philosophy of sport. Prior to academia, he was the executive sport director at Fundación Club Deportivo Universidad Católica, in Santiago, Chile.
Bravo’s research combines his unique experience of serving in both the practitioners’ and the academic world. His work has been published, among others, in the International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, Management Leisure, International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics and Journal of Sport Management. He is also the coeditor of International Sport Management and Sport in Latin America. Policy. Management, Organization.
Since 2005, Bravo has presented his research at the annual conferences of the North American Society of Sport Management (NASSM), North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (NASSS), and the International Society for Comparative Physical Education and Sport (ISCPES). He has also been invited to present lectures and keynote speeches in Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Macao, Japan, Korea, Mexico, and Venezuela. He has been a founding and active member of the Latin American Association of Sport Management (ALGEDE) and the Latin American Association for the Socio Cultural Studies of Sport (ALESDE), and since 2014 a visiting scholar at the University of Pittsburgh’s Center of Latin American Studies to promote and disseminate research and scholarship in the field of sport management across Latin America.
- Visiting professor at the Research Center for Sport, Leisure and Society at Universidade Federal Do Paraná, Curitiba, Brazil
- Visiting scholar at the University Center for International Studies, University Of Pittsburgh
- Co-editor of two books in International sport management
- Policy and governance of international sport
- Organizational behavior applied to human resource management in sport
- Consumer behavior of sport services
- Researcher of the Year Award, CPASS at West Virginia University, spring 2012
- Excellence in Research Award, CPASS at West Virginia University, spring 2014
- Excellence in Service Award, CPASS at West Virginia University, spring 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016