2013 Admission Requirements
- Application is made during the fall semester of the sophomore year. A minimum combination of 45 hours of required “Pre-Requisite Courses”, general education curriculum or approved elective classes must be completed before application is made to the program. Notification of admission or denial will be made upon the receipt of fall semester grades. Student applying for the SM program will have two options for admission into the SM program: 1) Traditional on-campus spring/fall cohort, and 2) three-year summer cohort.
- A of sixty (60) students will be admitted each year from the pool of sophomore applicants to the traditional fall/spring cohort. These students will begin taking SM coursework during the fall semester of the following year (They will not be allowed to take coursework during the spring semester immediately following acceptance into the program, and will not be able to take summer coursework in the SM program designed for the summer cohort). The sixty (60) applicants with the HIGHEST GPA and who MINIMALLY meet or exceed the following admission criteria will be accepted each year into this traditional four year program cohort. In order from the first admitted student to the last (highest GPA down to the 60th GPA), the opportunity will be given to opt into the 3-year summer cohort instead of the three-year summer cohort. Once accepting admission into the 3-year summer program, students are only allowed to take SM courses in the summer (see description below). Those spaces in the traditional four year major cohort that are opened by students choosing to enter the summer major cohort will be filled in order by students who’s GPAs were categorized as 61-80. Applicants who meet or exceed the admission criteria are NOT guaranteed admission into either track of the program. Application deadline date – October 1st each year.
- Overall GPA is greater than or equal to 2.50 (Recent cutoff GPAs have been at or above 3.0);
- Successful completion of 18 credit hours of pre-requisite courses;
- Successful completion of a minimum of 27 additional hours of general education curriculum, or approved elective courses.
- A maximum of twenty (20) students will be admitted each year to a three-year summer cohort. Students admitted into the traditional four year program cohort will have the first opportunity to choose admission into the summer major cohort. If the first sixty students admitted into the traditional four year major do not fill up this summer major cohort, students who’s GPA was ranked 61-80 will be chosen for this major, with those students who’s GPA is the highest being given the opportunity to opt into the traditional four year major in order to fill the spaces of those students who choose the three-year summer cohort. Students within this cohort will be allowed to take SM major classes ONLY in the Summer session. All SM major courses will be offered each summer, and students will be able to complete major courses with full-time enrollment in two summers. Students within this cohort will be able to graduate in three years if normal progress is made towards graduation in the spring and fall semesters. Students within this cohort will need to take their Internship credits, and SM 380 and SM 384 in the Spring and/or Fall semesters.
- Pre-Requisite courses (Require a grade of C or better unless stated otherwise):
3 hr | SM 167 (grade of “B” or better)
3 hr | ENGL 101
3 hr | COMM 100 and 102, or 104
3 hr | Math Requirement MATH 121/126
3 hr | ∗ECON 201 or BUSA 202
3 hr | JRL 101
Total 18 hr
- The applicant must successfully complete a minimum of 27 additional credit hours of either general education curriculum or approved elective courses.
General Education Curriculum
GEC #1 – English 102
GEC #2 – Includes Math course, Science with lab, CS 101 and 3 additional hours (14hrs.)
GEC #3 – Student’s Choice (3 hrs.)
GEC #4 – COMM 100 and 102; or 104 (3 hrs)
GEC #5 – Student’s Choice (3 hrs.)
GEC #6 – WVUe 191 or SEP 170 (athletes only) and SEP 272 (4 hrs.)
GEC #7 – SEP 271 (3 hrs.)
GEC #8 – Student’s Choice (3 hrs.)
GEC #9 – Student’s Choice (3 hrs.)
Writing Course Requirement (after completion of English 101 and 102)
Approved Foundation Electives
∗∗Require “C”or better
Total General Education Curriculum, or Approved Elective Credit Hours 27 hrs.
Total Credit Hours, Pre-Sport Management (Freshman and Sophomore Years) = 45
- Once accepted into the Sport Management Program, students must continue to meet University and program requirements, as well as maintain satisfactory progress towards completion of the degree. If a student fails to meet these requirements once admitted to the program:
- The student will be placed on probation for one semester;
- The student’s grades will be reviewed at the conclusion of the probation semester to determine their future status. Upon this review, the student will either be reinstated to or suspended from the program.
- A student suspended from the program must seek another major immediately, as they will not be permitted to register for additional required Sport Management classes.